Sunday, February 17, 2008

Vicarious Living

There's been a growing trend in recent years, and living vicariously through Patti has become a common phenomenon. Even I'm doing it.

It's kind of fun. I have a great job at the library, in the audiovisual department. I miss the river of books that used to flow past me at the circulation desk, but here's the payoff: I buy the movies. Fun? Are you kidding? Best. Job. Ever.

The other thing that's fun about being me is that I've recently entered the magical world of authorship, where people publish your books, and other people buy them and ask you to sign them. I'm at a very comfortable level of celebrity--I get recognized standing in line at the movies, but so far I've had no trouble with the papparazzi.

The best part is that at the end of the day, I come home to my little apartment, which is mine-mine-mine and to which no one else has a key, and nobody comes in unless I invite them. Which I sometimes do. And that's fun, too.

No comments: